Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ending the semester and starting a new adventure...

WOW! Hadn't realized it had been that long since my last post!!! So I have several updates!

First, I am single again! Martin and I broke up the beginning of April. I can't be too mad about it- but I guess if I tried hard enough I could! He did have a lot of religious convictions which he said wouldn't be an issue, but eventually, they were! When you combine that with him coming to the realization that I would be a Lutheran Pastor someday...it proved to be more than he could handle. I'm glad we ended it before things got too serious and I do wish him well.

The semester....heck this whole last year was by far the toughest! Seminary GOT VERY difficult! I turned into a hermit Fall semester, but once I got back into the swing of working out 3 days a week in the Spring, I seemed to be coping and doing better. I continued working on campus as a Front Desk receptionist and working the Faculty Secretary's office. It was fun! Once I turned in the "BIG" paper for Spring semester on the 4th Chapter of Jonah - I felt home free!!!! I did do better second semester than the first.

In March, we did receive our Internship assignments. I was originally assigned to go to Wisconsin, but the congregational Pastor where I was assigned decided to leave a year early and go ahead and retire. So I was immediately assigned to where I am NOW. I will start work on Monday the 11th working as the Intern Pastor at Settlement Lutheran in Gowen, MI. I live in a nearby community and LOVE this area so far.

In April, I met my Supervisor who is Betsy Kamphius. She serves as full time Pastor at a nearby church and will be watching me from a distance - sort of. We talked about my schedule, my expectations, shared some goals, insights and issues. She has a great personality and likes to laugh so I know we will get along well. She is well respected within this community.

In May, as the semester came to an end, I decided I wanted to take some things back to TX to put in storage before I moved up to Michigan, so I went down to TX for 2 weeks and also had a little vacation time. Rox, Julie and her family and I all went camping at Rox's lake lot over Memorial Day weekend. Rox and I had an awesome time, but Julie did get sick and had to leave early. After the camping trip and for the remaining other times, I spent most of my time with Julie and my God daughter just doing some fun things in town; but I did see a few other friends too! We went to Lego land, the Dallas Zoo, Party Pottery Place among some other places. I had an awesome time, but it was a little sad realizing that it will probably be a LONG time before I get back to Texas.

In June, I returned to campus to work for the Maintenance department as their Summer Crew. I had forgotten how difficult manual labor truly is and how OLD I am getting. I dunno if I'll be doing that again! It was pretty brutal on my knees, back, arms.....just everything! I barely had enough energy after work everyday to get all my packing done; but obviously, I did get it done.

June 30th, I moved up here to Michigan where I will be for the next year. I am so excited about being here! This area is just stunningly beautiful. I spent this past week touring the area and checking out the sites. Earlier this week I went to Lake Michigan. The beaches are gorgeous and the waters are SOOO clear! I'll probably be going back there VERY soon, but there are so many lakes up here! The little community that my church sits in is mostly a farming community and my church is so beautiful. I'll be worshiping there in the morning.

I have managed to finish unpacking; just need to hang a few things so it feels like home. It's going to be a great year! Peace and blessings to all!

1 comment:

  1. YAY for a new blog posting! I am glad to hear everything is going well in Michigan! Blessings to you as you settle into this next year of life! Enjoy life as intern, it is a fabulous year. I can't wait to hear more stories and see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete